Monday, June 11, 2012

check these out

Sometimes I feel like I have nothing new to say, and it's hard to blog more than once or twice a week. So...let me refer you to some other blogs I have come across recently that fit within the scope of this one. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these!


http://blog.christianitytoday.com/women/2012/05/the_dark_side_of_healthy_eatin_1.html

The entry above was sent to me by a friend who reads this blog (thanks, Kristen!). It is by Rachel Marie Stone from Her.Meneutics, Christianity Today's blog for women, asking the question, "Are pure diets really all that good for us?"  Stone speaks of "orthorexia" (literally, "correct appetite"), the dark side of people's obsession with righteous and healthy eating. She highlights the problems of a rule-based approach to eating, and how it can not only be detrimental to the individual, but especially to the act of sharing a meal with others.

It brings up some interesting issues, but as one of the comments suggested, "This is such a first world problem..." I agree. We are worried about what kind of food we eat and how we eat it. Much of the rest of the world worries about whether or not they will eat at all. The topic is certainly one that only middle-to-upper-class white Americans (like me) would find intriguing, and I appreciate the irony that I read it on a blog. (Blogs are definitely something white people like, but they didn't make the list. What did make the list were organic food and vegan/vegetarianism...and - ironically - irony.)



http://seeprestonblog.com/2012/06/the-eucharist-the-great-equalizer-mutuality2012/

I found this entry through Rachel Held Evans' series on mutuality, of which the post is a part. It was written by Preston Yancey, and is a beatifully written piece on the Eucharist, particularly as an equalizer of who offers and receives the Supper. I think the key line in the whole entry is when Yancey writes,
For in that moment, in the moment bread passes from hand to hand, wine from hand to hand, it is not that person who holds out salvation to me, but Christ our Lord. They are unto me, in that moment, as Christ. I receive by them from my Lord. Nail polish on fingernails or no, young or old, dark or fair: they are unto me, in that moment, as Christ.
 
Anyway, check these out and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment