Saturday, February 4, 2012

here we go...

I’m finally doing it. I’ve toyed with the idea of starting a blog for a while now, and I’ve given in. I realize that I’m a little late getting on the blogging bandwagon, but what the heck…here we go…

I’m a wannabe foodie, and I enjoy everything from fried chicken to duck confit, from Krispy Kreme donuts to crème brulee.  I am no chef or professional food critic, but I love to eat.
And,
I’m a minister, in the business of “the care of souls.” I work in the church and in the community, trying to realize the kingdom of God, surrounded by theology in practice.

And that’s what I hope this blog will be: theology in practice.

Our faith is put into practice when we gather around a table (and as a life-long Baptist, we take every opportunity to sit down at the table). We connect on a basic human level over food, whether it’s over Grammy’s mac-and-cheese, fried pork belly at The Lazy Goat, or those tasteless wafers and juice on a Sunday morning. Transformation happens when we sit down with others and celebrate one of God’s greatest and most basic gifts—nourishment.

But don’t think that all you’ll find here are lofty ideals and abstract thoughts. My plan is to have two or three entries a week. Some will be reflections on the meaning of special times I’ve had around the table; others will be more like restaurant reviews of amazing (and sometimes not-so-amazing) food I’ve eaten; some may be links to articles or websites that I find along the way; and a good portion will probably just be my random thoughts about food, faith, and fellowship.

So, in the spirit of Martin Luther's idea of "table talk," I hope you'll contribute your thoughts and questions to the conversation around this blog-table. And maybe along the way, it will be nourishing to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment