Monday, April 2, 2012

day thirty-five: the homestretch

The straightaway on a track after the last curve, or the final stages of an undertaking, is called the "homestretch," as racers (or whomever) "stretch towards home."

I feel like our Lenten journey has entered the homestretch. We rounded the last turn. We're tired, but the finish line is ahead. We're in the homestretch.

This morning I volunteered at a place that feels like a home to me. I have two summers worth of memories there, walking the halls and working in the food pantry as an intern. And today, two of my former co-workers - Davida and Roz - played babysitter while I volunteered.

The packing list for each bag

The food pantry.
As you can see, there's plenty more room for donations (*cough* Donate food! *cough*)

I was a slow day and Suzy had to stay home this morning (not feeling well), so I only ended up staying for about an hour and a half. While there, I packed paper bags full of food for people in need. Our son, on the other hand, who had gone with me, never had the chance to do much of anything. The entire time he was held, played with, and loved by these two ladies.

Davida and Roz are special to Suzy and me. I told them when I was going to propose. We went by to show them the ring after we were engaged. They even came to our wedding! And now, the newest member of our family is as precious to them as they are to us.

It was a good reminder that I need to "stretch" my imagination of what "home" is. It is not just a building or a place to sleep. It is a community where you are loved and accepted, where you always feel welcomed and safe...and there are many more "homeless" in our world than just those who live on the streets.

Today, "home" for our son was in the arms of two middle-aged black women who work at a non-profit. "Home" for me was in an un-air conditioned room amidst thousands of non-perishable food items.

I know this idea of "home" seems like a stretch...

...it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment