Sunday, April 22, 2012

it's compost time?


It's compost time!

...I hope.

I've been thinking about starting to compost for a while. I remember my grandfather had a compost pile near his garden in the backyard, and we'd carry out leftover foods and scraps after meals. At Wadmalaw (see last post) I was the compost champ, diligently emptying the bowl once or twice a day. As one of our hosts, Trenholm, put it, "Isn't it cool to think that you're returning it to the Mother?"

...And it is. By composting, I participate in the natural cycle of death and life, consuming and producing, eating and feeding that which feeds us. There is definitely a spirituality in this process - a deeper recognition of our connection within Creation and with other created Beings.

Apparently, it is a spirituality that Suzy does not share.

When I floated this idea to her in the car, she was...hmmm...shall we say, less-than-enthusiastic? I believe her exact answer was, "Hell no. Look at me. (Remember: I'm driving the car.) Look at me. There is no way in hell you are going to put a big pile of trash in my backyard."

And no matter how much I tried to explain the process of composting, that it wasn't really "trash," and the benefits of composting, she wasn't going to hear of it. 

Maybe I can start a pile without her noticing...



Here's some info on composting.




If you know of other information or resources, or if you have any experience with composting - good or bad - let me know!

4 comments:

  1. SUZY, STAND YOUR GROUND WOMAN. I was not as wise as you. Young and in love, my answer was "sure Honey". This explains why I now have eggshells aging on my kitchen counter and banana peels on the backporch. Somehow the compost doesn't make it to the bin in the very back of the yard. Plus, when I DID try to use the compost, it had whole eggshells and carrot chunks in it. Evidently it takes like 1000 years to really turn to good dirt. JUST SAY NO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Margaret, you can put those kinds of posts on Suzy's blog...but not here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzy talks about cute baby things - not rotting tomatoes :-)

    ReplyDelete