Sunday, March 18, 2012

fourth sunday in lent

Today, we made up for yesterday.

This afternoon - even though we were hot, tired, and very ready to change clothes and relax - we delivered a case of canned pet food to the Humane Society before going home (a good idea given yesterday's non-action).

Right outside the entrance of their new facility
Why hot, tired, and ready to relax, you ask?

This morning we had a big anniversary at our church. We celebrated 90 years of missions and ministries with a morning (read: "day") full of activities, including a lunch and program in our gymnasium, sans air conditioning. It really was an exciting and uplifting day as we reflected on our past and looked to the future...but it was also long and tiring (especially since we spent most of the day yesterday setting up).

I was reminded, however, that my part in the life of this community of faith is just a chapter in its story. I like to think about all of the "improvements" I've made, the ways that I've added to the church, initiatives that I've taken. I want to think that people will remember me and what I have done.

But the reality is, God was working in and through this church long before I came, and will be long after I'm gone. I am just one in a line of ministers and laypeople who have served God's kingdom in this local church. There were many before me who planted seeds that have only now come to fruition. And there will be others down the line who will bring to fullness the possibilities of our present.

In other words, to play on the sign above, love must be embodied, given legs upon which to stand, journey, and serve.

Hope you can help us figure out where the journey of service will lead us over the next couple of weeks. We need suggestions for other projects, and would love to hear your ideas!


18
19
20
21
22
23
24

Make dinner for couple struggling with medical issues
Make breakfast for ministers at church
Donate money to Heifer International
Provide fertilizer for Travelers Rest High School organic garden
Give out bags of sugar-free candy at nursing homes

25
26
27
28
29
30
31

Take food to police officers

Leave dollars in vending machines




Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
1
2
3
4
5
6
7




Provide  homemade communion elements for Maundy Thursday service

Volunteer at Triune Mercy Center preparing and serving a meal

No comments:

Post a Comment